Thursday, October 21, 2010

How to Roast Pumpkin or Squash Seeds

Pumpkins and winter squash are in season now and I bought a buttercup squash the other day. I baked it plain (I’ll explain how in an upcoming post), but just as delicious were the squash’s seeds that I roasted.

Here’s how to do it:


Preheat oven to 375. Clean out the seeds from the squash or pumpk
in. Rinse and remove as much of the flesh that sticks to the seeds as possible. Dry the seeds as much as you can and put them on a baking sheet. Add a little oil (I used olive), salt and pepper to the seeds and mix to coat. Put seeds in oven and roast until they are golden brown and crisp, about 15 minutes. Eat when cool; store leftovers in airtight container at room temperature.

For different flavors, add dried spices (cinnamon, chili powder, cumin, etc.) when coating the seeds with oil.

No comments: