Monday, August 23, 2010

An Impromptu Indian Dinner: Curried Chickpeas and Kale

For dinner last night I made an Indian dish of chickpeas and purple kale, a variation of chana masala and spinach, a popular item in Indian restaurants.

How I did it:

I heated a little olive oil (canola is fine) in a large sauté pan over medium heat. When the oil was hot but not smoking, I added two chopped onions and sautéed them until translucent. (I stirred often, as I didn’t want the onions to brown.) I added a can of drained and rinsed chickpeas and mixed. I then added about a tablespoon of hot curry powder and mixed.

For a little additional flavor, I added a quick splash of white wine. I then added a big handful of chopped purple kale, stirred for about one minute and turned off the heat. I added some lemon juice, salt and pepper and stirred. I added five or six heaping tablespoons of whole milk yogurt and stirred. I tasted and reseasoned with lemon juice, salt and a little more curry powder.

I served the mixture over brown rice.

There were no leftovers.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

It sounds wonderful! I'm going to try it.