Wednesday, July 14, 2010

Buy Our Chicken: No Razor Blades Added!

I was in a big box store yesterday and was amazed at how often “all natural” was slapped onto packaged food, even when less than healthy ingredients were present.

However, the labeling that really pissed me off came from our friends at Perdue, who were selling “All Natural” chicken marked “No Hormones or Steroids Added†.”


Finding the ”†” on the package, I read that “† Federal Regulations Prohibit the Use of Hormones or Steroids in Poultry.”

(Perdue, please accept my heartfelt thanks for following United States law!)

But there was no mention anywhere on the package of antibiotics, which we also must avoid.


REMEMBER: Federal regulations allow antibiotics to be used in poultry, pork and beef.
Beef is also allowed to be administered hormones and steroids.


Thankfully, chicken free of antibiotics is becoming easier to find. Two popular brands are Bell & Evans and Murray’s, plus many supermarkets’ house labels now offer antibiotic-free chicken.

1 comment:

Amy L. said...

Yuck. Stuff like this makes me proud we raise our own beef and eggs, and I look forward to the day we raise our own pastured poultry, too.