Thursday, May 27, 2010

Cheese from Francisca's Cow in Betanzos, Spain

I am a big fan of farmers’ markets here in New York City and on my recent trip to Spain I tried to visit as many markets as possible.

One I caught was the market in Betanzos. Many of the vendors weren’t farmers in a large-scale sense, but more just regular people selling their goods (lettuces, dark leafy greens, potatoes, beans, eggs, cheese, chorizo, etc.) that they grew or made themselves in order to make some money.


For three Euros, I bought a round of cheese from Francisca, who must have taken some on-line marketing courses. “Todo es natural,” she repeated several times. More importantly, I found out the name of her one cow that produced the milk that went into the cheese.

Francisca, by the way, has a cousin who lives in Queens.



No comments: