Thursday, April 22, 2010

After Months of Citrus, I Want Berries!

When it comes to fruits and vegetables, I usually stick to a seasonal eating schedule. This entails eating a food item for about two or three months and not tasting it again until its harvest time returns the following year.

Since the middle of the winter, I’ve been eating oranges and grapefruits. I am officially tired of eating said oranges and grapefruits. In addition, their flavor wanes as their growing season comes to a close.

While shopping yesterday, I had a huge urge for berries or cherries, which won’t be harvested domestically for several weeks. (Literature I’ve read about the spraying of pesticides and other chemicals in Central and South America has dissuaded me from eating fruits and vegetables from there.)

To satisfy my craving I bought a bag of frozen organic blueberries. However, this wasn’t a blind purchase; I made sure to check where the blueberries were grown (United States).


The raspberries, strawberries and cherries, on the other hand, were grown in South America. Organic monitoring in foreign countries is usually left to third parties, an arrangement with which I am not 100 percent comfortable.

No comments: