Thursday, January 21, 2010

The Challenge of Feeding Our Families

Last week a mom left a comment on a blog post (“General Mills Yoplait Trix “Yogurt” Should Be Illegal”) that I had written a year ago.

Her comment perfectly captures the challenges so many of us face when making purchasing decisions for ourselves and our
families:
"I found this site when I Googled "Trix yogurt & hyperactivity," because my son ate one yesterday (his first and LAST!), and went into a mad tailspin. When we checked the ingredients all we saw was sugar & chemicals. My husband felt terrible because he bought it thinking it would be a healthy snack—what could be wrong with yogurt? How are they allowed to even call this yogurt?"
The moral of the story? All of us should be reading the ingredient labels on the foodstuffs we are buying, since the chemicals present may explain why our kids (and maybe even us!) are bouncing off the walls.

I am not pulling this out of left field; click here to read about the McCann Report, an English study that showed how “artificial colors . . . in the diet result in increased hyperactivity.”

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Interesting post. I know it's possible to find and eat healthful food, but it's made much more difficult in having to wade through so many processed and enhanced offerings. Keep up the good work!

Lisa said...

This is a great blog, Rob! Very informative and well written- after talking with you and reading this I'm definitely going to be making some changes of my own and will hopefully be able to inspire others to do the same. Thanks again for having the Behind the Burner team today!

Chef Rob said...

Lisa,

Thanks for reading and I'm happy to hear you are enjoying The Delicious Truth. Simple changes can result in great results.

I can't wait for the finished videos!

Rob